[kdepim-users] Configuring Mailboxes

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 6 15:31:35 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 06 February 2008 15:04:54 Rosalind Mitchell wrote:
> I have Fetchmail/Procmail/Dovecot set up and working, ass suggested by Anne
> - thank you.  It works fine (mostly) with Kmail and mutt; I haven't tried
> it with anything else yet.

Hi, Rosie.  Glad it's (mostly) working.

> Just one little problem - I have several subfolders of ~/Mail set up.  Most
> of these work fine.  There's a problem with others, and it's not
> consistent. When Kmail tries to access the oddball ones, it protests with a
> message saying "Mailbox isn't selectable".  I set up all the subfolders in
> the same way, through Kmail, and I have checked the permissions - there is
> no difference betwen the folders that work and the ones that don't.
>
> Has anybody seen anything like this before?

No, I haven't.  So - we have to figure out what's different.  Are they recent
folders, or ones set up in kmail some time back?  The reason I'm asking is
that I wonder if some are mbox folders, rather than maildir, and kmail may be
trying to read them as the wrong sort.

Maybe one way to tackle it would be to create a new folder with a similar
name - suspect2 to match folder suspect, for instance, then see whether it is
possible to point kmail's import routine to the old messages.  Once you can
read them it's simple enough to move them to the new folder, delete the old
one and rename the new one to your preferred name.

It's worth a try, anyway.

The only other thing I can think of, is a procmail fault - and I don't think
you'd get the not-selectable message for that.  If procmail (maildir) recipes
don't end with a '/' the messages are not put into the cur directory, so you
don't see them.

Anne