[kdepim-users] annoying wallet -> problem solved , thanx guys :)

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Feb 21 21:38:09 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 19 February 2008, Roy J. Tellason wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 February 2008 16:07, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Tuesday 19 February 2008 19:55:24 Pastor JW wrote:
> > >
> > > I agree 100 percent but alas the inability to allow unattended
> > > downloading of e-mails makes it unusable for me.  That and the
> > > fact I had several unexplained crashes of K-mail which went
> > > completely away once I disabled K-wallet.  See, for me, there is
> > > little point in having the mailer periodically check for new
> > > messages if I have to be at the computer to give a password
> > > anyway!  My computer is supposed to make things easier and save
> > > ME time with my chores in the process, not become an added chore!
> > >  The main point with Linux in the first place was the ability to
> > > configure the OS in the manner it worked best for you, ...not
> > > forced to use it in the way dictated by companies looking only to
> > > squeeze more money out of me like MickySoft is guilty of.  I, in
> > > fact, tend to rebel against arrogance!  Its my money and I demand
> > > the right to spend what of it the government doesn't take away
> > > from me in the manner I desire.
> >
> > For crying out loud!  Do you really think I sit in front of kmail
> > all day? My mail is downloaded every 5 minutes from 6am to 11pm.
> > AND I USE WALLET.
>
> Your choice,  of course.
>
> Hey,  here's a really radical thought.  How about when the folks that
> are doing all the things that they're doing with this software change
> something, they do so IN A WAY THAT DOESN'T BREAK WHAT EXISTING USERS
> ARE USED TO DOING?
>
> Or is that too radical?

Au contraire. We are doing things like implementing new concepts and
throwing old functionality away. That is a radical approach to software
development. That is something proprietary software developers cannot
do because they cannot risk losing a few customers (unless there is no
alternative). We, OTOH, can implement new concepts without having to
keep all old functionality. Sure we might lose a few users because of
this, but at the same time we will win many new users.

Besides keeping all old functionality is way too expensive in terms of
developer resources so that we really do not have a choice. It's either
stagnancy or evolution. And we will always choose evolution over
stagnancy.