[kdepim-users] A suggestion for kmail

David Goodenough david.goodenough at linkchoose.co.uk
Thu Dec 18 15:51:25 GMT 2008

On Thursday 18 December 2008, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 18 December 2008 13:45:26 David Goodenough wrote:
> > > I have the same setup. when you right-click on the folder, and select
> > > propteries, at the very bottom is:Sender Identity. check which account
> > > you want, and when you hit REPLY, or NEW MESSAGE, it will be from that
> > > account..
> >
> > Yes, that is the stage I am trying to remove, the code could work it out
> > for me when it works out that this is mail from a mailing list.
>
> I'm not so sure about this.  It would add an extra layer of complication to
> the code, and save a total of 5 seconds maximum.  More complications mean
> more opportunities for bugs.  I just make it part of the folder setup, like
> David

The difficulty is the flow in which things happen.

1) You sign up to a mailing list giving them an email address

time passes

2) You receive a confirmation email and reply to it to be sure you meant it

more time

3) You get the first mail from the list and read it in your InBox

could be some time later

4) You create a filter during which you create the folder from the create
filter dialog.

5) You run the filter on the mail you have just received moving it to the new
folder.

6) You might now move to the folder, and get it associated with the mail
list and associate the right email address, but I tend not to as I have
a bunch of other emails to read so I move to step 7.

again, could be some hours later.

7) Another new item of mail arrives in the folder, and you read it.  You
remember that you did not do 6, so you do it now.  The dialog finds the
mail list and now you have to find out which email address this was sent
to so that you can set the properties default address.  This (in my case)
needs to change the header view (to all fields) and then find the route
that the mail came in which tells me which id it was.  Then I can update the
properties.

With either 6 or 7 I have moved away from the relevant InBox so I have
forgotten which email address it was.  I have to look in the full headers.
And it might be hours since I signed up and knew which address I had
used.

This is not a must have, just a nice to have, but I think it is worth
considering.

David