[kdepim-users] Any Advice on changing from POP to IMAP ?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Dec 13 11:54:05 GMT 2008

On Saturday 13 December 2008, Werner Joss wrote:
> On Saturday 13 December 2008 01:33:34 David Jarvie wrote:
> > I use IMAP because of the ability to leave mail on the server for
> > access from anywhere. But KMail under KDE 3.5 is pretty unreliable
> > using IMAP - the IMAP folder frequently hangs and often it is
> > necessary to manually delete its index files. (The KDE 4.1 version
> > is even worse - I find it completely unusable for IMAP.)
>
> hm,
> I can't confirm this - I never had major problems with IMAP, since
> earlier kde 3.x versions, whereas DIMAP was less stable, at least in
> kde 3.5.x (switched to kde 4.1.3 recently, and had no problems, since
> then).
> maybe the problems you mention are related to special server
> incarnations ?

I have made the same experience, i.e. no major problems. I've been using
IMAP exclusively since more than 2 years. Even lost connections to the
server don't cause major problems. Very seldom (once a month tops), I
have to re-start KMail (and kill the kio_imap4 ioslaves) because it
fails to connect to the server after a lost connection.

I'm connecting to a Sun Java(tm) System Messaging Server. For a short
time I also connected to my GMail account without experiencing any
problems.

David, what server(s) are you experiencing those problems with?