[kdepim-users] Kmail is not working with my Cyrus Imap server

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Dec 30 17:46:28 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 30 December 2008, Public Mailing Lists wrote:
> Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > On Thursday 25 December 2008, Public Mailing Lists wrote:
> >> Hi there,
> >>
> >> Kontact is a nice program, and I'd like to use it for my email,
> >> calendar, etc. I have a Cyrus Imap server (Cyrus Imap 2.2 on
> >> Debian 4). Cyrus imap runs fine, and I can access it from
> >> Thunderbird, Evolution, and from Outlook.
> >>
> >> Only with Kontact/Kmail (4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy3), I can't access
> >> my mail. Apparently, Kmail does not fetch the folder list from the
> >> server. I can't find any error message. Kmail is just hanging here
> >> and not doing anything when I click on the folder icon.
> >>
> >> Does anyone have experience with this issue? Is there any way to
> >> tell what Kmail is trying to do, or to get an error message?
> >
> > Maybe this is caused by the intermittent problems with Sieve and
> > older versions of Cyrus (cf. [1])? OTOH, this problem should be
> > fixed in KDE 3.5.10 which you seem to be using.
>
> I'm using kmail from kmail 4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy3. This is from
> Ubuntu eeePC distribution.
>
> Kontact also has some problems with placing its calendar reminder
> icon in the panel. It frequently puts it just on top of the eeePC
> button at the very left corner.
>
> > What happens if you click on "Check What the Server Supports" on
> > the Security page of the settings dialog of the IMAP account? Is
> > "Show only subscribed folders" or "Show only locally subscribed
> > folders" checked?
>
> If I click on "Check What the Server Support", it contacts the imap
> server, and then it displays "Encryption: none" and "Authentication
> Method: Clear Text". The other options are grayed out. This is
> correct, as this is the way the server is configured.
>
> "Show only subscribed folders" and "Show only locally subscribed
> folders" are not checked. I've tried to check them and then subscribe
> to folders manually. However, kmail does not fetch a folder list to
> pick from. When I go "subscribe", the folder list to subscribe from
> stays empty.

Hmm, I'm out of ideas.

Since you do not use encryption you could capture the communication
between KMail and the server with Wireshark or a similar tool. The log
will contain your password in cleartext, so make sure to remove the
password from the log if you want to send the log to this list.
Alternatively, just send the communication log starting after
authentication.