[kdepim-users] Any Advice on changing from POP to IMAP ?

Gunter Ohrner G.Ohrner at post.rwth-aachen.de
Sat Dec 13 12:36:02 GMT 2008

David Jarvie wrote:
> access from anywhere. But KMail under KDE 3.5 is pretty unreliable
> using IMAP - the IMAP folder frequently hangs and often it is
> necessary to manually delete its index files. (The KDE 4.1 version is
> even worse - I find it completely unusable for IMAP.)

I'm also using IMAP exclusively since about at least 2 or 3 years, and I
never delete mail if it's not spam or an autoreply message.

I'm connecting to a local Dovecot imap server which I sync with the main
IMAP server using offlineimap 3, as that's the fastest solution for offline
mail sychronization I could find. I also tried DIMAP for a while with
kMail from KDE 3.5.x and while it worked, it was slower and not as
stable.

kMail from KDE 3.x and now kMail 1.10.3 work quite well for me and
especially with IMAP I rarely have any problems. kMail from KDE 3.5 had
some stability problems concerning IMAP in some versions, leading to
annoying and frequent crashes, however these problems have been fixed in
the meantime for the KDE 3.5 versions as far as I can tell, and I've
not yet experienced anything similar with kMail 1.10 from KDE 4.1.1
upwards.

Greetings,

  Gunter