[kdepim-users] Any Advice on changing from POP to IMAP ?

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Sat Dec 13 00:33:34 GMT 2008

On Fri 12 December 2008 20:17:32 Werner Joss wrote:
> On Friday 12 December 2008 20:36:04 Robert Smits wrote:
> > I'm using KDE PIM Kontact with Kamail on an opensuse 11 64 bit KDE3
> > system.
> >
> > I've been using POP/SMTP on my Kmail program for years, but my ISP is now
> > offering IMAP. Since I'm using three different computers to get my mail,
> > I'm thinking this might be a good idea.
> >
> > Any comments on the pros and cons of switching from POP/SMTP to IMAP?
>
> just try imap - you won't loose anything :)
>
> as fernando already said, you will have to use smtp for sending mails as
> usual.
> the advantage of imap is to be able to access your emails from anywhere.
> downside is: you will have less space at the server of your isp than you
> have on your local storage.
> this is the reason why I use 2 imap servers: the one from my isp which
> keeps everything I need to access from everywhere, my local courier imap
> server where I keep everything else.

I use IMAP because of the ability to leave mail on the server for access from
anywhere. But KMail under KDE 3.5 is pretty unreliable using IMAP - the IMAP
folder frequently hangs and often it is necessary to manually delete its
index files. (The KDE 4.1 version is even worse - I find it completely
unusable for IMAP.)

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author and maintainer.