[kdepim-users] Viewing Contacts

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 12 16:19:09 GMT 2008

On Friday 12 December 2008 15:34:30 Werner Joss wrote:
> On Friday 12 December 2008 12:32:41 Keith Cowling wrote:
> > I'm a newcomer to both KDE and Linux so I'm having a bit of trouble
> > getting my head around what these 'resources' actually are.  I'm used to
> > having my address book on my old Psion, for example, on which you just
> > load a flat card database into the 'Data' module and can therefore have
> > any number of data files including multiple address books, music
> > records, recipes, book titles, etc on different files.  But these
> > resources don't seem to be files.
>
> the standard resources are in fact files, just look at your
> ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf - this is your addressbook, you can open it
> with a text editor.
>
> > They all seem to have the same
> > information and if I load one of them and try to customise it the
> > changes subsequently appear on all the others.
>
> that is because you probably have activated 2 ressources, both referring to
> the same file (see above).
>
> > Should I just delete
> > them all except the main 'file address book' resource'
>
> you can't delete them in the contacts resources pane, just disable one,
> that should do the trick.
>
> > and, if so, is
> > there any way to load different address book files into Contacts?
>
> I'm not sure if this is possible with the ancient kde (3.4.x ?) that comes
> with the eeepc, later versions can do that, and much more (such as use
> resources from ldap servers or other network based services etc...)
> just fiddle a bit around with the 'add ressource' feature.

Ah - I missed the reference to eeepc.  Eeepc 701 test coming up -

Well, it sort-of works.  I say 'sort-of' because there were two differences
that I saw.  First, when I added the nonsense record (same test as before) it
showed only one entry, but I could still see that one entry, whichever
resource was enabled.  I discovered that it was necessary to close kde-pim if
you switched resources, after which the correct entries were shown.

The second thing that seems a cause for concern is that when I added a record,
std.vcf was backed up as std.vcf_5, not std.vcf_1 as expected.  This is
nonsensical, both in the context of its own directory and the context of the
original resource's directory.

HTH

Anne