[kdepim-users] Editing a recurring appointment

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 12 20:13:51 GMT 2008

On Friday 12 December 2008 18:54:42 Art Alexion wrote:
> On Friday 12 December 2008 10:07:06 am Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I have a weekly appointment, for which the time will change in the New
> > Year. I can't find any way to change forward times only, leaving previous
> > ones unchanged.  If this is true I would call it a bug, and report it.
> > Am I missing something?
>
> I am going to make a guess here, based solely on my experience with Palm
> Pilots and how they handle that.  If you make a change to a recurring
> appointment in the Palm, it asks you whether you want to change (1) all,
> (2) that instance, or (3) this and all future occurrences.  If you use (3)
> it actually terminates the original recurrence and creates a new recurring
> appointment with the change.  If you choose (2) it creates 3 appointments,
> the original terminated just before the changed one, the changed one, and a
> new recurring one starting with the next one after the changed one.

Hmm - I wonder if that's what Lotus Organizer was actually doing?  Does it
meet the scenario I proposed, where both lots of appointments would appear to
a search as though they were actually one?  I'm thinking of billing issues,
for instance.  I'm casting around vaguely - obviously a search on the
appointment title would bring up them all, maybe the issue doesn't arise at
all.

> To the extent this is not implemented in kontact, you can do it manually.
> Duplicate the appointment.  Edit one copy and terminate it at the end of
> the year.  Edit the other one with a new time and to begin at the first of
> the year.
>
> Hope this helps.

Anything that helps to clarify whether something is 'a good idea' or totally
useless is indeed a help :-)

Anne