[kdepim-users] Editing a recurring appointment

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 12 22:12:47 GMT 2008

On Friday 12 December 2008 21:47:35 Ákos Szederjei wrote:
> On Friday 12 December 2008 21:29:43 Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > Kontact does something similar.
> > > In the case of 2 it creates an excetpion (no appointment at that date)
> > > and allows the user to modify that single appointment.
> > > We do not have a case for 3, except to do the same thing manually.ű
> > >
> > > Ákos
> >
> > Ákos, thank you for discussing this with us.  It does help in the
> > understanding of the 'nuts and bolts' of the application :-)
> >
> > Anne
>
> A pleasure...
>
> Actually it is a conceptual question. There is no right answer, because
> both approaches has advantages and drawbacks.
>
> I played around with Kontact's calendar and it seems to me that the
> appointments use the time range as basic reference, while in Lotus I assume
> it is the name.
>
> For example: Dancing lesson - 17:00-18:30 - every Monday.
>
> In Kontact you can change everything and the reoccuring appointments remain
> together (as repeating occurrence), EXCEPT the time 17:00-18:30. As long
> the time 17:00-18:30 there is no problem. Change the time (except having
> exception, which we can set) and the "chain of appointments" break as
> discussed above. This solution is logical, easy to grasp, but cumbersome in
> some cases.
>
> Now in Lotus they may have set the name of the appointment as a common
> value. We can change everything in any of the reoccuring appointments, BUT
> the name. So as long we the name Dancig lesson it remains  chained
> together. This is logical and flexible, but very difficult to visualise in
> an easy to use way. Imagine having  Dancing lesson as a repeating event for
> 3 years while the regular time changed three times, had 7 exceptions, etc.
> How do you handle them? Have them listed under the appointment if it opens
> up? Where and how to indicate that that (or the other) appointments are
> exceptions?
>
> Coming back to the question, yes I can imagine a situation where the
> "Lotus- like" version is convenient. Actually I just have such a case...
> But on the long run it will become too detailed and difficult to overview.
>
> Again, my main problem is how to  presentation the information in
> acceptable way. Any ideas?

Do you mean how to get this information known and understood?  I would be
happy to help with a section in http://userbase.kde.org/KOrganizer, either on
the main page or on a linked troubleshooting page - maybe Q & A format?
explaining why it is problematic and suggesting the best way of dealing with
it, if you would be willing to give it the eye when I've done it, and check
that it is explained clearly.

Would that help?

Anne