[kdepim-users] KOrganiser SNAFU?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Dec 31 13:48:23 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 30 December 2008, brian wrote:
> Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> | I noticed that the date range is reset to the current week if you
> | select "Print Week". Did you probably select "Print Week" after
> | setting the range of dates thereby resetting the range without
> | noticing?
>
> You are correct, Ingo, I hadn't spotted that the date was being reset
> when I changed it from daily to weekly format. Thank you, it now
> works as expected.
>
> Might I suggest that this is a particularly bad piece of design?
> There is no justification (that I can think of, anyway) for assuming
> that the user wants to reset the date range just because they switch
> from daily to weekly (or between any other combination of
> daily/weekly/monthly for that matter), and *especially* not when the
> last thing the user did was to change the date from the default
> values.
>
> At the very least, switching from (e.g.) daily to weekly should pop
> up a message box asking the user if they want to switch back to the
> default range, although I'd think the argument for leaving the dates
> as the user has set them is stronger.

I partially agree with you. Alternatively, the printing dialog could be
redesigned as wizard/assistant where one first selects the desired
layout and then on a second page the details. Additionally, it would be
nice if a preview of the layout should be shown.

> And no, unfortunately I can't get into the source and produce a
> patch. ~ I was trained as a scientist, not a programmer, and I don't
> know the first thing about 'C' and its derivatives. They all look to
> me like the sort of thing we used to see when we connected a dumb
> terminal at the wrong baud rate. :) Should KOrganiser somehow have
> been written in Fortran or Pascal, I'll happily volunteer to take a
> look.

:-) No, KOrganizer is written in C++.

Please submit your suggestion as wish at http://bugs.kde.org (or via
Help->Report Bug).