[kdepim-users] vcf address utility

Mike Mdr mdrmikemdr at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 7 23:08:41 GMT 2008

Hi.  I've written a command line utility for searching vCard (version 3.0) files which hold multiple contacts.  I use it in conjunction with KAddressBook, for me it's a "must have" command line utility, which is why I decided to release it as open source.   In case anybody is interested, it's availiable here:

    https://sourceforge.net/projects/address-util/

If so, bug reports, and feature suggestions would be welcome.  Plus I need some help on the make file.

Here's the readme:

ADDRESS-UTIL version 1.0.0

Copyright (c) 2008 Michael D. Roach
Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software is
granted under terms provided in the LICENSE file distributed with
this software.

A command line utility for searching vCard (version 3.0) files which hold
multiple contacts.

The utility is designed to work in concert with another application which
allows for export of all contacts in a single "vcf" file or preferably
creates such a file by default. The KDE Kontact application on Linux
fits this bill quite nicely, on my system it automatically creates and
maintains the file:

    ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf

For convenience, I can set this as the default input file, by running:

    address --file ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf --set-defaults

I use the Kontact or specifically KAddressBook to store business contacts
as well as personal.  Note, this does not necessarily clutter the KAddressBook
interface as it may be configured to display only contacts in specific
categories, e.g. "Friend" and "Family".

Adding businesses gives me quick and easy access to my insurance agent's phone
number, the local library, auto repair shops, etc.

I might grab a pizza by using:

    address pizza

Which outputs:

    Pizza Hut
          Home 599-0001
    Address work:
        1314 Main Street
        Moore LA  71234
    ------------------------
    Domino's Pizza
          Home 599-0002
    Address work:
        100 S. Eastern
        AnyTown LA  71234
    ------------------------
    Little Caesar's Pizza (Sante Fe)
          Home 599-0003
    Address work:
        10th & Sante Fe
        AnyTown LA  71234

Optionally, I can display email addresses, notes, and birthdays. Also, I can
output cards of a given category or categories in raw vCard format suitable
for redirection to a file.

Usage:
   address [ options ] [ search_name [ search_name [...] ] ]

Allowed options:
  -h, --help                output this message and exit
  -f path, --file=path      read non-default input file (vcf)
  -b, --birthday            also show card birthday
  -e, --email               also show card emails
  -n, --notes               also show card notes
  -r, --raw                 output all data in raw vcard format
  -c type, --category=type  restrict categories e.g. Business
  -l, --list                output all cards in given categories
  -o, --omit-defaults       cancels all default options except "file="
  --set-defaults            writes default options (e.g. address book)
  --show-defaults           show default options and exit
  --version                 output program's version and exit

Search_names:
   [first][last][additional] or [last][first][additional] or [name]

Notes:
   Use a comma (no spaces) to delimit multiple categories.
   By default, phone numbers and addresses are listed.

Examples:

  address --file=/home/me/docs/address.vcf --notes --set-defaults
    e.g. Sets a default address book and option to show notes.

  address john michael
    e.g. Finds "Michael P. John" and "Mr. John Michaels Jr."

  address -eb John Michael P
    e.g. Finds only "Michael P. John", also outputs email and birthday.

  address John
    e.g. Finds "Michael P. John", "John Michaels" and "The John Furniture"

  address -c Business John
    e.g. Finds "The John Furniture" (assuming it's a Business category)

  address --list --category=Personal,Family
    e.g. Outputs all cards of Personal and/or Family categories.

Long options may be uniquely abbreviated and short options may be chained.

 * AUTHOR
 - Michael Roach
 - mdrmikemdr at yahoo.com