[kdepim-users] Failures burning with K3b

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 24 13:41:11 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 24 December 2008 11:42:02 Stan Goodman wrote:
> The system is openSuSE v10.3.
>
> Yesterday I downloaded to iso images openSuSE v11.1, for 32-bit and 64-bit
> architectures; all yielded correct MD5 results in K3b.
>
> I first burned the 64-bit image, checking the "Verify" box. When the
> operation was over, there was an announcement that there was "nothing to
> verify".
>
> I repeated the operation with the 32-bit image; at the end of the
> operation, the disk was ejected and there was a laughter sound to inform
> me of an error, so the verification failed.
>
> I repeated this operation, without verification. At the end, K3b announced
> that it had been completed successfully. But both of these disks failed
> to boot the T21 laptop for which they were intended. When either of them
> is inserted into a running open SuSE system, the system seems to inspect
> them normally, but the CDROM drive does not appear in the "Disk
> information" list in Konqueror.
>
> When I insert the 64-bit disk into the T21, it does boot the machine, and
> correctly announces that it cannot be used in that 32-bit machine. Either
> K3b has become corrupted or the drive has become defective; the drive
> reads normally. Short of substituting a new drive, is there a practical
> way to determine which?
>
> I also tried to burn a DVD with some ordinary (non-image) files. This two
> resulted in the laughter. When I insert it into the drive in order to try
> to inspect it, the drive's activity LED never goes off, so I have no idea
> what is there, except that I have made another coaster.

Stan, while your diagnosis may be right, there could be other reasons for the
failure to boot.  I'd suggest that you should run md4sum (or sha1sum) on both
the iso and the /dev/cdrom or wherever your disk will be found.  After that
you'll know for sure whether it's a bad burn or something else.

There are known problems with verification on some k3b installations - I don't
know whether they are hardware or software caused.

Anne