[kdepim-users] Viewing Contacts

Keith Cowling eyehouse at phonecoop.coop
Fri Dec 12 11:32:41 GMT 2008

Werner Joss wrote:
> On Thursday 11 December 2008 18:00:23 Keith Cowling wrote:
>
>> Thanks Werner, your advice helped me to crack it.
>>
>> I stared at the Address book for sometime wondering about the 'lower
>> pane' in the address book, which didn't seem to be there.  Then I
>> fiddled with the lower edge of the contacts  panel and, lo and behold, a
>> hidden resources pane emerged showing that I had indeed got two
>> resources "file address book" and "resource" open.  They are obviously
>> identical files or 'resources'.
>>

> yes, I think they are identical.
>

>> What's the difference?  Can I delete
>> one?
>>

> just uncheck one of them and you should be fine :)
>

>> Can I create  different contact lists and load them separately?
>>

> only if they are of different type, e.g. one is a network resource, the other a
> local file resource.
>
> werner

I'm a newcomer to both KDE and Linux so I'm having a bit of trouble
getting my head around what these 'resources' actually are.  I'm used to
having my address book on my old Psion, for example, on which you just
load a flat card database into the 'Data' module and can therefore have
any number of data files including multiple address books, music
records, recipes, book titles, etc on different files.  But these
resources don't seem to be files.  They all seem to have the same
information and if I load one of them and try to customise it the
changes subsequently appear on all the others.   Should I just delete
them all except the main 'file address book' resource' and, if so, is
there any way to load different address book files into Contacts?

Keith Cowling