[kdepim-users] Problems in Kmail 1.10.1 on Ubuntu Intrepid

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Dec 10 20:44:40 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 10 December 2008, André M. de Roos wrote:
> I have used Kmail for a long time and I have generally been very
> impressed by it. However, after a recent upgrade from Ubuntu Hardy to
> Intrepid and hence from Kmail 1.9.3 (based on KDE 3.5.9) to Kmail
> 1.10.1 (based on KDE 4.1.2) I noticed that a number of things stopped
> working which made me prefer Kmail over other clients in the first
> place:
>
> 1. Expansion in kmailrc
> In my kmailrc configuration file I use expansions like:
>
> check-interval[$ie]=$(/home/andre/bin/test-online)
>
> The script "test-online" returns 0 if I'm not on-line (in a train or
> so) and a value of 10 otherwise. This prevents interval mail checking
> if I am not on- line and checks mail every 10 minutes if I am. In
> Kmail 1.10.1, however, this expansion stopped working. I did discover
> that a similar expansion:
>
> default-transport[$ie]=$(/home/andre/bin/test-kmail-smtp)
>
> in the mailtransports file does work, strangely enough.

Hmm. I'm sure we did nothing to disable this in KMail and I didn't see
an obvious reason for this problem when having a brief look at the
code.

> 2. I used to be able to use the "Send Queued Messages Via" menu
> option to send messages stored in my outbox via a smtp server of
> choice. This does not appear to work any longer in Kmail 1.10.1. It
> seems as if a message is already assigned to a particular smtp server
> when it ends up in the outbox.

That has always been the case. Nevertheless one could still explicitely
ask KMail to use another SMTP server (in KMail 1.9 under KDE 3.5).

> Does anybody have these same experiences and found out whether there
> are work- arounds? Or are these features of Kmail that have been
> discarded (a pity as I liked Kmail especially for these kind of
> features).

Those seem to be regression bugs. Please file corresponding bug reports
at http://bugs.kde.org.