[kdepim-users] Kmail Message-list window

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Aug 13 14:33:10 BST 2008

On Wednesday 13 August 2008, Stan Goodman wrote:
> At 12:10:39 on Wednesday Wednesday 13 August 2008, Ingo Klöcker
> <kloecker at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 13 August 2008, Stan Goodman wrote:
> > > I did that to define a range of messages, then copied the
> > > selected messages to a different folder. (I copied rather than
> > > moving because this was a first experiment, and I wanted to
> > > preserve the original situation in case there were a failure of
> > > any sort.) The copy operation succeeded, so I wished to delete
> > > the original messages from their original location. This
> > > disclosed an apparent bug.
> > >
> > > What happened was that some, but not all, of the selected
> > > messages were deleted, and the operation had to be repeated
> > > several times in order to remove all the selected messages
> > > (selected lines in the window). All went well in the end, but I
> > > do not believe that the behavior was what the designer intended,
> > > or what a user should have to experience. I also do not believe
> > > that the designer ever tried this maneuver out before releasing
> > > the program.
> >
> > Do you use threading? Were the threads collapsed?
>
> I do use threading, though I have been considering doing away with it
> normally, and implementing it only when it would be convenient.
> Usually, threads are collapses, but I can't guarantee that there were
> none expanded at the time. If that was the problem, however, I am
> much more comfortable with your implied explanation, because it
> removes the behavior from the realm of "mysterious phenomena".

AFAIK, only messages that are currently visible are deleted. So if you
select the root message of a collapsed thread and then select Delete
Message then only the root message is deleted. Of course, once the root
message is gone, the messages immediately below the root message will
become visible since they are now top-level messages.

With copying the behavior is different, i.e. if you copy the root message
of a collapsed thread, then (AFAIK) the whole thread is copied.