[kdepim-users] Migrate KDE 3 KMail DIMAP folders to KDE 4 KMail without re-downloading everything

Brendon Higgins Brendon.Higgins at student.griffith.edu.au
Sat Aug 2 04:39:02 BST 2008

Hi Anne,

Anne Wilson wrote (Wednesday 30 July 2008):
> On Tuesday 29 July 2008 10:59:02 Brendon Higgins wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > I'm trying out KDE 4.1 (in Debian), and trying to migrate KMail.
> > AFAICT, this process is not automated. I have a rather large
> > disconnected IMAP that I would very much prefer not to have to
> > download again. How can I avoid doing that, instead just move/copy the
> > local dimap folders from .kde to .kde4, while keeping the dimap
> > account still functional?
>
> Brendon, I haven't done this, but my guess would be that you should set up
> the dimap account, then copy the existing mail across into the folders that
> gives you.

Thanks, I tried as you suggested, and it pretty much worked.

For anyone else interested in the process: I added the details of the
connection in the KMail config, then shut KMail down (it started trying to
download mail, but quitting stopped it). This creates two files and two folders
in ~/.kde4/share/apps/kmail/dimap/, each with a common pattern of numbers,
however only one folder doesn't start with a '.', so the others are hidden. I
moved all these out of the way (but kept a backup copy just in case).

Then, I copied the appropriate numbered folders (there are two, hidden and
visible) (but not the index files) from my old ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/dimap/
to the new ~/.kde4/share/apps/kmail/dimap/ , and renamed them to have the same
names as the folders I just moved out of the way. Start KMail again, and it
seems to be okay with that. Looking in the folders, I guess, regenerates those
index files.

Of course, when I asked the original question I was worried that there might
be some internal thing in KMail that would have a fit if I tried doing this,
but I guess there isn't. :-)

Peace,
Brendon