[kdepim-users] Migrate KDE 3 KMail DIMAP folders to KDE 4 KMail

Stephan Herrmann stephan at cs.tu-berlin.de
Thu Aug 7 21:51:05 BST 2008

Hi,

I must be missing something:

> For anyone else interested in the process: I added the details of the
> connection in the KMail config, then shut KMail down (it started trying to
> download mail, but quitting stopped it). This creates two files and two
> folders in ~/.kde4/share/apps/kmail/dimap/, each with a common pattern of
> numbers, however only one folder doesn't start with a '.', so the others
> are hidden. I moved all these out of the way (but kept a backup copy just
> in case).
>
> Then, I copied the appropriate numbered folders (there are two, hidden and
> visible) (but not the index files) from my old
> ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/dimap/ to the new ~/.kde4/share/apps/kmail/dimap/ ,
> and renamed them to have the same names as the folders I just moved out of
> the way. Start KMail again, and it seems to be okay with that. Looking in
> the folders, I guess, regenerates those index files.

That's exactly what I tried, but when synchronizing mails in this setup
kmail UPLOADS all local mail to the server, complaining that it is not
able to create directories on the server and it would literally take
hours if not days to complete that upload.
Obviously kmail found that the copied contents of dimap was new.

(luckily I backuped files on the server, otherwise I would have been
pretty hosed).

There must be a better way to import.

FWIW: most my emails are stored in a directory structure under my home
directory on the server. This I configured using the "namespaces" section
of the account configuration dialog (which has some usability issues btw.)

best,
Stephan

PS: I started to DOWNLOAD all my email again. It's faster the uploading ;-)