[kdepim-users] Kmail crashes after syncing mail directories

Alexander Borghgraef alexander.borghgraef.rma at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 11:34:38 BST 2008

Hi all,

Ever since upgrading from Fedora 6 to Fedora 8, kmail has been crashing a
lot. It runs fine for some time, but after a while when opening a folder or
subfolder, I get an error popup of the type:

 Code:

Error opening /home/myhome/Mail/sent-mail/cur; either this is not a
valid maildir folder, or you do not have sufficient access
permissions.

This then happens a few times, and after a short time, I get a different
error popup, and kmail/kontact crashes:

 Code:

KMail encountered a fatal error and will terminate now. The error was:
Could not sync maildir folder.

Investigating the offending directories in konsole usually returns nothing
out of the ordinary: they're perfectly normal directories, with normal mail
files in them, which I can read without any problem, though the last time
this happened it apparently did destroy my Mail/trash/cur directory,
rendering it inaccessible (had to delete it and create a new one).
Sometimes, the problem goes away after a few times restarting kontact or
kmail. This sort of unpredictability obviously makes it hard to detect what
the problem is. My home directory is on a different machine, using nfs if
I'm not mistaken (not the sysadmin), maybe that has something to do with it.
I'm using kmail 1.9.9 in kontact 1.2.9, with kde 3.5.9-5.fc8 on Fedora 8.
Any ideas on what may cause this?

--
Alex Borghgraef