[kdepim-users] looking for the unsubscribe webpage

Richard D. Ciampa cim_rich at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 3 21:30:55 BST 2008

Hi,

Thanks!

Richard D Ciampa

-----Original Message-----
From: Anne Wilson [mailto:cannewilson at googlemail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 12:31 PM
To: kdepim-users at kde.org
Subject: Re: [kdepim-users] Spell Check

On Wednesday 02 April 2008 18:00:30 Caleb Cushing wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 April 2008 12:08:39 pm Ken O'Malley wrote:
> > Anne, thanks again.
>
> no probs. I try to help people learn linux when I can.
>
> > Caleb, I have an Eee PC 4G Surf model.  Although I am fairly
> > knowledgeable in Windows I have absolutely no experience with a Linux
> > system.  I have no idea what your last question is referring to....
 What
> > is "repos"? And thank you for the offer of assistance.
>
> "repos" is short for repository. most distributions use them (gentoo
really
> doesn't it just has the tree but the overlays are kinda repos).  A overly
> simplified windows analogy is, say download.com, windows update, and best
> buy. each one would be a place where you can get new software and/or
> updates and install it. The difference in linux is you don't have to
browse
> the web, or go to the store. you can use tools like synaptic or apt-get to
> do everything for you. There is no click next next next reboot.
>
> > Asus does not include any system documentation with the Eee PC so I have
> > ordered "Linux Made Easy: The Official Guide to Xandros 3 for Everyday
> > Users" from Amazon and expect delivery tomorrow.
>
> they don't? that sucks.

In truth it wasn't designed for people to learn linux.  It has an easy
interface, designed for people who just want to browse the web, write an
email or a letter, listen to an mp3 or play a game.  It's laid out in tabs,
Internet, Work, Learn, Play, Settings, Favorites.  It's great for its
intended purpose.  If you want to learn linux you need the 'full desktop',
and the wiki tells you how to do that.  More of that if/when you are ready
for it, Ken.

> I recommend learning man and since you are using
> kde look at the kde help center.
>
> open your 'k menu' (like start menu) go to settings > control center.
there
> should be a search tool type in spell. click on the spell checker settings
> in results. make sure these are what you want.

There is no K menu in the default display.  The easiest way is to use hidden

key shortcut of Ctrl-Alt-T to get up a terminal (called konsole) and then to

type kcontrol.

> http://bayimg.com/pajNOAAbE screenshot of mine
>
> identity settings in kmail
> http://bayimg.com/pAjNpaabe
>
> don't forget. when composing options > automatic spellchecking
>
> I personally think whoever set up the spellchecker stuff should not have
> put settings in so many places for you to have to get it working as
> anticipated. it's an overly complex ui. did I miss any possible settings?
> probably did, because like I said they are all over the place.
>
> p.s. anne said that xandros has ispell installed by default.

It is indeed, but now I see what Ken's problem is.  In kmail it says
that "ISpell/Aspell could not be started. Please make sure you have ISpell
or Aspell properly configured and in your PATH".

mlocate is not an installed package, which makes searching harder.  On this
laptop 'locate ispell' points to

locate ispell
/usr/lib/aspell-0.60/ispell
/usr/lib/enchant/libenchant_ispell.so
/usr/lib/kde3/kspell_ispell.la
/usr/lib/kde3/kspell_ispell.so
/usr/share/services/kspell_ispell.desktop

I would have thought that they were being called by kmail, so not required
be in my $PATH.  On the EeePC there are directories called /usr/lib/aspell
and /usr/lib/ispell.  However, they don't appear to have files matching mine

above.

I suspect that this is going to need taking to the EeePC User forum, Default

Xandros Linux, http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewforum.php?id=2

There's some good helpful people there.  The other site you should bookmark
is
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/

Hope that helps

Anne