[kdepim-users] Palm 700p and Palo Alto

Tom Cada thomas.cada at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 21:52:00 BST 2008

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 2:13 AM, Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper
<vr at movingparts.net> wrote:
> Hi Tom!
>

> On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 11:34 PM, Tom Cada <thomas.cada at gmail.com> wrote:
> > As suggested to assist in testing, I set up a new client system using
> > openSUSE 10.3 in VirtualBox. I upgraded the system to KDE 3.5.9.
> >

> VirtualBox... I keep hearing about people using that. How is it? Have you
> ever used VMware Workstation and if so, how does VirtualBox compare?

I started using Qemu and KVM but I found it somewhat clumsy to set up
and attach USB devices to. I had looked at Xen and found that it was
far too complicated to set up for a home use.

I downloaded the VirtualBox binary from their web site
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads. If you select the binaries
link, it puts you at a site that has an install download for just
about any distribution you can imagine. Note that the company is now
owned by Sun.

The installation for openSUSE just dropped in place using a RPM file.
I had to include myself in the virtualbox group, insure that the VB
module was loading, and I was off and running.

Setup uses a GUI and wizard that guides you through the process of
creating an image, and referencing either the cd/dvd drive or a hard
disk image to load into the guest system. I have created a directory
of bootable ISO images that I used to create the initial guest
systems.

I have set up Windows 2000,  Windows XP, and openSUSE 10.3. They all
run flawlessly. I used the VB binary edition as it has access to USB
devices. The open source version does not. The restriction is that the
binary VB version is used for evaluation or personnel use only. I use
Samba to allow the guest/host systems to access each others shared
files. Networking ran right out of the box. Guest speed is very
snappy. You wouldn't know you were running a virtual machine.

I am currently (as I write this) installing openSUSE 11.0 alpha 3 so I
can do some testing and look it over. The VB system provides a great
setup for test systems with any guest problems completely isolated
from the host system. In addition, prior to running any updates etc,
you can take a snapshot of the current guest system and restore it if
things go pear shaped. That's why I used the VB system to first try
the upgrade to KDE 3.5.9.

My hardware is a HP 17 " laptop with an AMD Turion 2.2 GHz dual core
64 bit processor. Ii has a nVidia video system and 2, 120 GB SATA1
hard drives (quickly filling up). I have the hardware virtual support
enabled in the bios.

Note that the current version of VB supports 32 bit clients only but
runs fine in the 64 bit environment.

Try it, you'll like it!

> Well, if the device is syncing properly, then I wouldn't worry about these
> log messages. KPilot is just reporting that the USB device comes and goes
> without being a valid device to sync with yet. No biggie. It's doing the
> right thing.
>
> Or am I misunderstanding you and you're having a problem somewhere?

During testing, i have found some killer problems which I will be
posting to the list shortly.

Thanks for the reply... Tom.