[kdepim-users] Problem to understand how utc-time is read and displayed

Detlev Reymann detlev at reymann.eu
Wed Apr 9 21:34:14 BST 2008

Hello,

I am using kontact (respectivly kdepimpi on my zaurus) to organize my
appointments for a long time and I am very happy with them.

Actually I am trying to integrate my mobile phone via SyncML and the
services offered at scheduleworld and have a problem with the way, the
time is interpreted by kdepim.

I tracked the problem down to the following example of a calendar file:

- -------------- example ics-file ------------

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
PRODID:-//K Desktop Environment//NONSGML libkcal 3.5//EN
VERSION:2.0

BEGIN:VEVENT
DTSTAMP:20080409T183730Z
ORGANIZER:MAILTO:mail at server.org
X-KOPIEXTID::
X-MOZ-GENERATION:2
CREATED:20080325T090618Z
UID:kopi-309766496-837
SEQUENCE:4
LAST-MODIFIED:20080409T183723Z
SUMMARY:Datenerhebung und Implementierung
LOCATION:HS 32
PRIORITY:3
RRULE:FREQ=WEEKLY;UNTIL=20080519T103000Z;BYDAY=MO
EXDATE;VALUE=DATE:20080428
EXDATE;VALUE=DATE:20080512
DTSTART:20080324T093000Z
DTEND:20080324T110000Z
TRANSP:OPAQUE
END:VEVENT

BEGIN:VEVENT
DTSTAMP:20080409T183730Z
ORGANIZER:MAILTO:mail at server.org
X-KOPIEXTID::
X-MOZ-GENERATION:2
CREATED:20080325T090739Z
UID:kopi-1702022939-331
SEQUENCE:3
LAST-MODIFIED:20080409T183730Z
SUMMARY:BWL UMIB
LOCATION:HS 6
PRIORITY:3
RRULE:FREQ=WEEKLY;UNTIL=20080630T123000Z;BYDAY=MO
EXDATE;VALUE=DATE:20080428
EXDATE;VALUE=DATE:20080512
DTSTART:20080331T113000Z
DTEND:20080331T134500Z
TRANSP:OPAQUE
END:VEVENT

END:VCALENDAR
- -------------- end of example --------------

As far as I understand the explanations I found on the net, korganizer
is saving dates in UTC-Format, translating them upon saving and reading
according to the timezone-settings.

The first entry has the following time:
DTSTART:20080324T093000Z
DTEND:20080324T110000Z

and the second:

DTSTART:20080331T113000Z
DTEND:20080331T134500Z

The Z at the end means UTC-Time, right?

My local timezone is Europe/Berlin which should be two hours difference
to UTC.

In Korganizer (Kontact Version 1.2.4 on Ubuntu 7.10) and in kdepimpi
(2.2.7) the first appointment is dispayed from 10:30 to 12:00 and the
second from 13:00 to 15:45

When I use the same calendar-file e.g. with sunbird or
mozilla-thunderbird lightning, the first appointment is dispayed from
11:30 to 13:00 and the second is the same as in korganizer (13:30 -15_45).

This leads to a lot of problems if i try to sync the appointments.

As far as I think, sunbird is right and lightning are right for the
first appointment and korganizer not.
Is there any information in the ics-file which leads to that result and
I a do not find the relevant information?

In german we would say "ich bin am Ende meines Lateins angelangt",
simply saying I really do not have any idea...

Could somebody give me a helping hand?

Thanks in advance.

Detlev
- --
Detlev Reymann
detlev at reymann.eu
http://www.reymann.eu

Diese Nachricht ist elektronisch mit GPG signiert. Wenn Sie nicht mit
entsprechender Software arbeiten, ignorieren Sie bitte den entsprecheden
Abschnitt dieser Mail einfach.

This mail is signed electronically via gpg. If you do not use encryption
software, simply ignore the additional part of this mail