[Bug 235481] New: all dimap data / receiving mail accounts deleted
kaleb.pederson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 21:09:03 CEST 2010
Summary: all dimap data / receiving mail accounts deleted
AssignedTo: kdepim-bugs at kde.org
ReportedBy: kaleb.pederson at gmail.com
Version: 1.13.2 (using 4.4.2 (KDE 4.4.2), Gentoo)
OS: Linux (x86_64) release 2.6.32-gentoo-r1
My one year old pushed the power button on my UPS so my system shutdown quite
unexpectedly while KMail was running. After logging back in, I started KMail
but it didn't come up immediately. I didn't think much of it but came back to
it a couple of minutes later to discover about 30 dialog boxes that said
something to the effect that it couldn't access the correct files and that I
should check filesystem permissions.
After dismissing the dialogs, I discovered that:
* KMail's layout didn't match my saved settings
* all my accounts for receiving mail were gone, and
* all data (over 500M) for my three dimap accounts was gone.
A `find ~/.kde4 -print` showed my data to truly be gone. Luckily, my data is
still present on my imap servers.
Related notes. About a year ago I was building a new machine whose RAM happened
to be bad. The machine would consistently shutdown or restart in the middle of
various operations. KMail behaved similarly under those situations, with the
exception of the dialog boxes popping up.
The behavior was as follows:
1) System would shutdown unexpectedly
2) Upon starting KMail, it wouldn't appear as quickly as normal,
3) I would hear lots of disk activity which was kmail deleting the
~/.kde4/share/apps/kmail/dimap directory contents.
4) Once KMail started up, all my dimap data would be gone as well as my
settings for receiving e-mail.
5) My accounts for sending e-mail were still present and functional.
6) My POP account data, which I have stored in ~/Mail, was still present.
I wish I had more information, but I'll try to respond to any questions and
And I'll definitely start a better system backup regimen ;)
Configure bugmail: https://bugs.kde.org/userprefs.cgi?tab=email
------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are the assignee for the bug.
More information about the Kdepim-bugs