Using (a modified version of) "Align Audio to Reference" on CLI

Seung Hoon Park simon.park1023 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 00:07:32 BST 2024

Hi,

I've found the 'Set Audio Reference' and 'Align Audio to Reference' feature
to be incredibly useful so far, and I was wondering if it would be able to
extract part of the feature where I could obtain the offset between the
reference and the selected audio clip.

As an example, suppose I have two audio files: one that has been recorded
as a WAV file typically 1 hour long and is the reference), and another one
that has been recorded as a short WAV file (typically 4 minutes long).
After I set the long WAV file as the reference and align the short WAV file
to the reference, I would notice that the short WAV file is now aligned and
starts at 00:31:38:09 (assuming the project is configured to be working
with 30fps).

Given this, I would like to create a script that can return the offset
between the two audio files – something of the following:

```
$ find-offset file1_reference.wav file2.wav
offset : 00:31:38:09
```

Would this be feasible? For the time being, I'm looking at the
implementation of `alignAudio` in
`src/timeline2/view/timelinecontroller.cpp`, but I thought it would be best
to ask about this before proceeding any further...

There exists other tools that do exactly the above, (for example,
audio-offset-finder <https://github.com/bbc/audio-offset-finder>), but
unfortunately, it seems like the output generated is incorrect for my use
cases. I guess looking further into such tools would also be an option, but
kdenlive's align audio feature has just been more reliable so far.

All best regards,
Simon