Alternative video tutorial: Screengrabs of how to perform tasks?

Michael Laudahn don.mitchel at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 30 02:56:17 GMT 2023

Not a hotline issue - for decision takers only

Hello

As someone with a certain interest in videomaking but also generally
unsuitable for traditional learning methods (plus, not having english as
native language), I keep on making the same experience when trying to
learn how to handle these softwares: Written instructions are almost
always useless, due to the complexity of the issue. Their videoed
colleagues could avoid this problem and thus be better, but often the
instructors fly away over the (what I experience to be) critical parts
of the process, so are ultimately useless too. An (admittedly slightly
caricature-style) example that could prove the point would be the clips
of the https://www.youtube.com/@EZTutorialsOnline/videos channel.

 From earlier experience, I know which method works best for people with
my learning characteristics: I need the instructor to perform a given
video task on his computer (fx split the clip in two halfs, cut away
what is not needed, then reattach them and add a transition), while
recording his actions with a screengrabber.

Based on such a video, I can then at home repeat the exercise as many
times as needed by just imitating what I get to see and hear. After some
time, I have developped a feeling for the programme and know it by
heart, and this is when the thinking process starts (in this order -
this is exactly the problem). Which again means, this is probably not
the end - rather a point from where to keep going and advance. And such
screengrab videos would be needed for all the basic actions. *)

Have you considered doing it this way? I cannot tell you how many people
function like that, but I have reason to believe I am not the only one -
possibly by far not.

Kind regards

Michael Laudahn

*)

At my present development stage, that would probably be all kinds of
cutting operations (not sure about the 'cut' terms), joining, fading,
transitions, pic-in-pic etc, for videos like these
https://www.youtube.com/@michaellaudahn/videos