Severe attenuation of preview audio (but rendered audio is okay)

Mark Emerson Subscriptions.4 at MarkEmerson.org
Tue Apr 25 10:53:38 BST 2023

I'm experienced with kdenlive, using it off and on for various projects
over the past decade, always on Linux/Debian. Last time I used it was
May 2022. I had not upgraded my Linux for several years until July 2022.

Today is my first use of kdenlive after the Linux upgrade, which I see
(per the About box) was upgraded to 20.12.3. I also checked my kdenlive
from the Linux command line, and I got a message that I have the newest
version, 20.12.3-1. However, the kdenlive website lists later versions,
up to 23.04.0 (2023-04-20)... dunno why my system says I have the
newest. I tried to re-install but it refused saying I have the newest.

In any event, I recorded a video today with a camera file (MTS) that has
a low quality audio track. On a separate audio device, I recorded an
audio file (WAV) from a good lapel microphone. Both files play normally
with VLC.

When I bring these files into kdenlive, and drag them into track(s) and
then play, the video displays properly in the monitor. However, the
audio is BARELY AUDIBLE in both files, even when I maximize my OS
volume. If I go to Settings/Configure-Kdenlive/Playback and set the
Preview volume to its max (200%), I can hear a little better and without
distortion. (If I display the Audio Mixer, and maximize the channel and
master, it distorts horribly, so I'm not doing that.)

When I render a little zone and play it (forgetting to turn down my OS
volume), it blares loudly and without distortion. So, the rendered
result is okay.

It appears that something is severely attenuating the preview/monitor
volume. Please advise. Thank you.

Mark