A story of a former Kdenlive's user (switched to Olive)

François Téchené ftechene at yahoo.fr
Sun May 12 18:44:42 BST 2019

Hi,

I take this opportunity to give you my personal feedback about Kdenlive
vs Olive as I have been using Kdenlive professionally for the last 3
years and I have also tried Olive recently.

I have also been pretty much impressed by Olive, especially the GPU
features that make a smooth experience with almost every filter and
every transition. I believe that Olive is pretty promising, and I am
watching its evolution closely, but it is still not matching my
requirements in term of stability and features, especially in term of
color grading.

Kdenive, however, has been improving so much in the past 3 years and is
now pretty close to match all my requirements.

It is not using GPU rendering but its proxy and preview features are so
convenient that it makes any processing intensive editing never be an
issue. It has almost no limit in that regard, not even the limit of my
GPU capacities.

I would also add that scrubbing is always very smooth for me on
Kdenlive, while it is not yet on Olive (this is a must have for me).

Also, the color grading in Kdenlive is a real pleasure. I do an intense
use of blending modes as well as a few filters like saturation and
levels. I also use the Waveforme and Vectorscope graphs that work
perfectly on Kdenlive.

One thing that was really missing in Kdenlive is the ability to port my
timeline to Ardour, but I have done a python script to achieve that, as
part of my latest project, and I am going to share that as free software.

Here is my latest work (I am making a behind the scene video to show my
workflow) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0a03NRpX3Y

I have mainly used Kdenlive for that video. It seems pretty simple
because there is no visual effects nor crazy transitions but believe me
the work I have done on the color is pretty advanced and process intensive.

So my conclusion is that while Olive is very promising, Kdenlive remains
a lot more suited to my professional workflow.

Cheers,

François