Re: example project: 19.04 Multitrack compositing still broken: differs from all previous Kdenlive versions back to 15 and before

Jacob Kauffmann jacob at nerdonthestreet.com
Thu May 9 22:38:23 BST 2019

As another user, I'd just like to say that Farid's response here was fairly reassuring at least, and I'm glad Harald started this thread because I got to read Farid's response. I usually can't make the Cafe's, and I haven't found them super productive when I have listened in on them, but I think the Kdenlive "community" (userbase) is starting to reach the size where devs will see angry users when things break. I know I've personally thought to myself "what in the world are the developers doing?" several times since upgrading to the stable refactored version, but as long as they follow up on what they're saying in terms of continuing to polish (rather than calling this "finished"), I have faith the software will be better for it and I'm very thankful to the developers for spending their time and effort on this important project.

With regards to changes, nobody is stopping anyone from using old versions of the AppImage or other installations, so if the current "stable" is not stable enough (which is always unfortunate to acknowledge, but is often the case with Kdenlive), people can always keep using an earlier version if it's working for them. Personally, I've found that the new version is *incredibly* slow with long (45-minute+) clips in the timeline, along with a few other issues, but the much-improved stability of the keyframing system and the lower criticality of timeline corruption is worth putting up with the quirks for the time being, in my case.

Older AppImages are still available for download right alongside the newest one, all the way back to 16.12.2: https://files.kde.org/kdenlive/release/ (Are the regressions worth the improvements? Decide for yourself and pick your poison.)

- Jacob Kauffmann