Kdenlive woes: libthumbnail going nuts

Vincent Pinon vpinon at kde.org
Sun Mar 18 07:29:16 UTC 2018

Le vendredi 16 mars 2018, 21:18:19 CET Harald Albrecht a écrit :
> Hm, difficult to say at this time. I'm not seeing any out-of-mem error, but
> heavy swapping, making the system unusable.
>
> Am 16.03.2018 um 21:16 schrieb farid abdelnour:
>> Check this thread out:
>> https://sourceforge.net/p/mlt/mailman/message/36222747/
>> Could it be related?

Hi Harald,

Sorry that Kdenlive gives you some extra stress :(

Strange that 17.12.0 works better than 17.12.3 as there have been very little changes in this cycle,
probably the problem came from dependencies updates in AppImage (switch to sdl2 with MLT 6.6 ? Qt / KF5 ?).

I would say swapping is the same problem as out of mem, the config just pushed the problem by using hard disk...
The thread pointed by Farid seems very relevant, as you explained in your refactoring test that your projects use affine CT,
and Dan namely optimized affine memory consumption...
And getting rid of mlt_pool will help a lot in debugging memory consumption with standard tools (valgrind/massif...)

I uploaded latest MLT fix to PPA (all variants), and took the opportunity to update kdenlive too /o\

If this doesn't fix your problem, then we will need to have a look at numbers from libthumbnails...

BR,

Vincent