Incredible Render Performance In Kdenlive With NVENC - But 1 Big Problem

johnar1 johnar1 at protonmail.com
Wed Jul 25 20:38:31 BST 2018

Dear Mr. Vincent Pinon,

if that is in fact your real name, my first born son shall henceforth be known as Vincent.

Your suggestion was spot on and according to my tests so far I believe it works.

Here are my findings:

Rendering 1st minute of Sintel 1080p/60FPS , 4 Threads, NVENC enabled,  Kdenlive 18.04 AppImage

.)Track Composition - "None"
[CPU Utilization: 70% - 67% - 64% - 80%] [GPU Utilization: 70%] [Render Time: 15s]
I noticed however, that transitions such as for example Slide or Composite are rendered improperly, with certain interference patterns.

After consulting the documentation, I realized that this should be fixed by disabling any surrounding empty tracks, but so far I have not been able to achieve that.

.)Track Composition - "Preview"
[CPU Utilization: 67% - 65% - 69% - 75%] [GPU Utilization: 65%] [Render Time: 20s]

I conclude that the best of both worlds comes into play with this option enabled.
Both the GPU and CPU are almost fully utilized, while it appears that transitions are rendered correctly.

I will do more thorough testing and read any documentation available, as I absolutely want to understand what exactly these options do.

I think it's a bit counterintutive to have "High Quality" enabled by default, which so heavily impacts performance, while in my opinion not making enough of an effort to alert the user to the extreme effects it may have on render times.

I literally spent 72 hours straight, compiling every single version of melt and kdenlive, documenting and testing every possible compilation parameter variation, performance reviews with every available version of Ubuntu, corresponding kernels and nvidia drivers, and every remotely related kdenlive option or workarounds.

This has  definitely shortened my life span by about 3 - 4 years.

I would like to extend my gratitude to you, good sir.