Incredible Render Performance In Kdenlive With NVENC - But 1 Big Problem

jb at kdenlive.org jb at kdenlive.org
Mon Jul 16 18:06:34 BST 2018

On July 16, 2018 3:48:21 PM GMT+02:00, Eugen Mohr <eugen.mohr at gmx.net> wrote:
>On a first look:
>
>File which runs:
>
>MLT version 6.7.0
>
>frame_rate_den="1"
>
>60 fps
>
>name="length">53282
>

>file which doesn't run:
>
>MLT version 6.10.0 → version of the Kdenlive refactoring
>
>frame_rate_den="1001"
>
>29.97 fps
>
>name="length">00:14:48;00
>

>check this parameters with other files

Thanks for this feedback. This could be very interesting and definitely deserves some investigation.

As Eugen stated, the main difference seems to be in the project profile. The first 'working' project uses a 60fps profile, while the broken one uses a 29.97 fps profile. And your source video (sintel) is a 24fps video. These parameters might affect nvenc.

I would recommand testing directly with Mlt in a terminal:

melt -profile atsc_1080p_60 sintel.mp4 out=3600 -consumer avformat:result-60.mp4 f=mp4 vcodec=nvenc_h264 global_quality=21 vq=21 preset=slow bf=2

This should render the first minute with a 60fps profile

Then:

melt -profile atsc_1080p_2997 sintel.mp4 out=1800 -consumer avformat:result-2997.mp4 f=mp4 vcodec=nvenc_h264 global_quality=21 vq=21 preset=slow bf=2

This should render the first minute at 29.97 fps.

(Just adjust the path to the sintel.mp4 original video in my command lines).

What are the render times? Keep in mind that rendering at 60fps means you render twice as many frames compared to 29.97fps...

Some comparison between nvenc and the normal h264 encoder would be nice. Also interesting to see if the time gain is still there when you add effects, for example add:

-attach sepia
Just before the '-consumer' paramt to add a sepia effect to the clip

Best regards
Jean-Baptiste