19.04 beta 6

Harald Albrecht harald.albrecht at gmx.net
Sat Dec 1 17:44:58 GMT 2018

Hi,

while throwing some of my existing Kdenlive projects at 19.04 beta 6 I
noticed these things:

  * missing effect: frei0r.scale0tilt -- no, this ain't edge crop, which
    does not allow repositioning the cropped part. scale0tilt is one of
    my essential effects which I need in many of my daytime projects,
    for instance, when cropping and placing screen recordings from
    mobile devices, PC screens, et cetera over other illustrations.
  * timeline playback has less performance compared to classic and
    stutters much more often. preview rendering simply fails without any
    usable information as to why. preview profile is DNxHD 1080p 25fps
    for FullHD 1080p 25fps project.
      o switching to MPEG preview rendering profile kills kdenlive:
        first segment goes yellow -> green, second segment goes yellow,
        then kdenlive crashes. terminal output is useless with only
        10982 memory access violation
  * project with only two audio tracks gets a third new audio track A3
    named "extra audio": it contains mp4 video clips from video track
    V1. Might that be because the source video has a (silent) audio tracks?
      o By the way: where's the classic disable audio on video clip gone?
  * the audio of timeline playback doesn't work correctly, audio is
    "wav" PCM 32bit 48kHz:
      o some audio clips are silent, albeit they contain a clearly
        visible audio waveform.
      o some audio clips don't show an audio waveform, but they should
        as the clip region in question has non-silent audio.
      o in general, audio waveform is out of sync with the clips in the
        timelime and playback: when audio playback is correct, the
        waveform isn't, clearly visible that silent parts of the audio
        waveform don't match the correct playback.
  * Transitions are almost invisible in the timeline and make them very
    hard to spot. Please add an option to bring back the much more
    visible classic design: as I work a lot with transitions in order to
    compose multiple video tracks, the new layout is a pita to me.
  * Transition keyframes sometimes end up being shown in the transition
    properties with the correct frame positions, but wrong keyframe
    "bar" in the properties; that is, while two keyframes at 0f and 12f
    get imported correctly, the keyframe "bar" shows the keyframe at 12f
    sitting somewhere near the middle, but without any following
    keyframe. The bar thus extends beyond the length of the transition.
  * In console I see lots of "couldn't create image from "...png" or
    "jpg", however, these image file are fine and correctly shown in all
    other tools; does the AppImage contain borked import filters??? I've
    seen this problem before with an AppImage, I think it was 18.04
    which was totally unusable due to this issue. For reference, 18.08
    works fine!

Best regards,
Harald