R: Re: R: Re: Output XDCAM footage with kdenlive

Massimo Stella maxstar at tin.it
Sat Apr 28 21:18:13 UTC 2018

If you check the email I wrote some days ago you'll find all the information about xdcam ex files.
I checked a file produced by a  Sony Xdcam camera by MediaInfo and I posted all the detailed results.
Then J-B and I generated manually the string of code. The "g=12" parameter is referred to the lenght of the GOP (Group Of Pictures) of the mpeg file.
As the XDCam format is a long gop format this is actually a very important parameter if you want to respect the exact format of this kind of clip.
Now I have not time to explore better the problem but in my opinion this could be generated by the mp4 container which looks like is not too friendly with the uncompressed PCM audio format, but the XDCam profile has to be: container mp4, video mpeg2 long gop (blue-ray standard) and audio PCM at 48.000Hz.
As XDCam is a proprietary format is not impossible that a standard mp4 container isn't allowed to mux uncompressed PCM audio.
This could be why ffmpeg has problems in muxing this kind of content. Of course a deeper investigation is needed.
For the rest the string means I posted means this:

f=mp4 - format mp4
vcodec=mpeg2video   - video codec mpeg2
g=12 - GOP 12 frames
vb=35M - Video Bitrate 35 Mb/sec
acodec=pcm_s16be - Audio Codec PCM 16bit BigEndian
ar=48000 - Audio Ratio 48000 Hz

I hope this can help.

Massimo.