Composite vs position and zoom

harald.albrecht harald.albrecht at gmx.net
Sun Sep 10 20:07:49 UTC 2017

Alberto,
as is often the case, there are multiple ways to achieve the same outcome. But there are multiple ways, depending on your workflow and project. And there isn't a "one size fits it all" or the "one true way", as in politics.
First, Kdenlive is slightly unique in that it can achieve positioning of and sizing clips using either effects or (multi-track or compositing) transitions. Which one to take depends on your project. For instance, effects can be applied not only to a single timeline clip, but to a complete track instead. Of course, you can also resize a transition over the full project length; but that may be cumbersome.
Transitions allow compositing effects beyond simple alpha blending, which effects can't offer. While I prefer to work with transitions, I know many other Kdenlive users prefer to use effects instead. We're all correct, isn't that great?
For effects, off my head I remember "crop, pan and tilt" that also does resizing. But its main purpose is cropping. Then there's "pan and ..." (forgot the rest). A latecomer to effects is "composite & transform" (is this the correct name?), which is quite neat, especially on whole tracks. I use it for resizing and positioning screen recordings, when then get composed on other tracks.
You can also use transitions, such as "composite & transform" that does the resizing and positioning before composing it onto another layer.
You can even combine such an effect with a transition. An example where I'm using this combination is as follows: the effect is track-wise and positions the (screen recording) clips correctly with respect to an overlay frame. Then I use transitions to do soft fade ins/outs, and also sometime sliding in and out.
An advanced example is to have two screen recordings which partially overlap. I then use transitions to partially fade out (not completely) the top recording, so the viewer is automatically focused on the bottom recording which is now more prominent. To guide the view focus again, I fade in the top recording.
So you see: there are many roads to Rome. And Kdenlive. Best is to try for yourself. Even I refine my project habits over time with each new project.
Best regards,Harald

Von Samsung-Tablet gesendet
-------- Ursprüngliche Nachricht --------Von: alberto fuentes <pajaro at gmail.com> Datum: 10.09.17  14:05  (GMT+01:00) An: kdenlive at kde.org Betreff: Composite vs position and zoom
How are we supposed to move things on the screen? Are there advantages?