Feedback on Kdenlive 17.04.3 after latest video project

Jesse DuBord jesse.dubord at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 23:25:40 UTC 2017

Farid had requested that I make this public; hopefully JB, Vincent and
the team can find this feedback helpful:
My experience while editing the comedic short film "50 Shades of Earl
Grey" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sSIRGZnFms) with Kdenlive
17.04.3 was actually really good. It only crashed once during the 10-12
hours I was editing, which was awesome!

Things I really liked:
- Preview rendering was always fast.
- Using the "Dublicate Clip with Speed Change" feature in the Project
Bin really helped me for this project.
- Being able to customize the layout is always a plus, helps workflow
move like I need it to.
- The "Custom Project Folder" field in the Project Settings proved to
be SUPER helpful. I started this production on my primary editing
desktop, and ended with the final render taking place on my laptop in
Northern California. I actually keep my production projects on the
Cloud for this very reason, and the transition was literally seamless:
I saved on my desktop, drove to Northern California, popped open my
laptop, opened the project, and finished up, without any glitches!
- It was a generally solid experience. Kdenlive has come so far since
the 0.8 and 0.9 series!

Things I didn't like:
- In the effects, some, like Rotoscoping, have an awesome keyframe
layout, where others, like the Wave effect, have a very confusing
keyframe layout. I would prefer all effects were keyframe-able and had
a layout similar to Rotoscoping's. (see attached screenshots)
- Having GPU accelleration is always a want that's been on my list for
Kdenlive, and it would have helped in this project to smooth playback
on clips w/ effects and decrease render time.
- I still instinctively hit CTRL+S on my keyboard often during editing
to save the project in the event of a crash. It would be nice to really
nail down on the crashing issues, so editors aren't nervous their work
is going to be lost.
- I would have used the master branch for this project, but I noticed
the packages for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS were no longer in the master branch
-- though they used to be. With a HUGE number of users using Ubuntu LTS
releases (as I recently found out on Google+), it would make sense to
have the PPA's contain packages for at least the latest LTS release, in
my opinion.

EDITED ON:
Kdenlive 17.04.3 via ppa:kdenlive/stable
KDE Frameworks: 5.18.0
Qt: 5.5.1
Linux Mint 18.2 x64 (Ubuntu base)
Cinnamon 3.4.6 Desktop Environment