Wokflow for working with UHD and Proxies

Steve Brodie stevebrodie at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 07:08:39 UTC 2017

The title of this post almost says it all! But essentially I am looking
for some guidance as to how to edit UHD on a 1080p timeline using
proxies. I have tried a number of methods and at times thought I have
cracked it, but then have a moment of doubt as to whether the results
are quite as good as they could be!

In most editors, in which I have done this before, I have just set up a
1920 x 1080 timeline/project and cropped in on the UHD footage as
required, (the business of the proxies and timeline resolution sees to
handled in the background for you). Am I correct in understanding that
when working in Kdenlive with proxies I need to set my project settings
to match the resolution of the proxy files rather than resolution of
the original files or the intended resolution of the rendered output?

I have experimented with using proxies scaled to 960, as this makes the
maths of cropping in easier, and setting my timeline to 960x540. Then
when rendering I scale to 1920x1080. I think(?) this works but would be
very glad of some input from anybody else who could comment with more
authority.

With thanks,

Steve