Kdenlive and MLT nvenc enabled

Evert Vorster evorster at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 00:44:36 UTC 2017

Hi there.

I also transcode a lot of older video to x265 on my nVidia GTX 960 using
nvenc, and using the ffmpeg and the hardware encoder does make about an
order of magnitude difference on framerate during encoding.

To achieve this on Arch, I had to install ffmpeg-nvenc from aur, and have
the right hardware, of course.
I believe that mlt should pass through ffmpeg options, so if ffmpeg
supports it, mlt should too, without the need to recompile. Unfortunately I
am now far away from home, and my linux is running in a virtual machine and
I won't be able to test it for a couple of weeks. In Arch, at least,
mlt-git optionally depends on ffmpeg-nvenc, so in the worst case you might
have to recompile that, too.

Once the foundation is in place, it should be simple enough to have
kdenlive allow libnvenc in the rendering profiles. File a bug report saying
that kdenlive does not support all the encoders that mlt supports, and
point to the thread above. Be warned that you will have to do a lot of
troubleshooting on your own if using libnvenc breaks things for you. You
can even follow the same actions and generate a script from kdenlive, and
modify the encoder yourself and see if it works for you.

Kind regards,
Evert Vorster

--
Evert Vorster