kde appimage (or equivalent) for Windows

Jean-Baptiste Mardelle jb at kdenlive.org
Sun Nov 13 22:03:29 UTC 2016

On Sunday, November 13, 2016 4:34:07 AM CET, Zeeshan Hasan wrote:
> Hi,
> My company would like to donate some developer time to get the
> windows port ready.
> Any tips on how to proceed?

Hello,

Thanks for your message. This is indeed a much requested / wanted feature
and would be a fantastic contribution.

The work ok Windows port was mostly done by Vincent Pinon and Joseph
Joshua.

Their approach was to use MXE (http://mxe.cc), which does a cross
compilation on Linux. But last time I heard about it, the app compiled but
crashed or froze on startup without any error message, making it hard to
debug.

Joseph also had a look at emerge (not Gentoo emerge) - a KDE based project
to compile on windows:
https://community.kde.org/Guidelines_and_HOWTOs/Build_from_source/Windows

Project page: https://github.com/KDE/emerge

I have personnally not invested time in this effort so I cannot say much
more but will ask Vincent and Joseph to document what they have done so
that it is possible to continue their efforts.

It should also be possible to look at how Shotcut (https://www.shotcut.org
) provides windows binaries. Shotcut is Qt5 based and uses MLT, so Kdenlive
is very similar, with the added KDE Frameworks requirement.

And last, the kde-windows might be of some help:

I will come back to you as soon as I can gather more infos about current
progress.

Best regards

Jean-Baptiste Mardelle