[kdenlive] Reduce mem usage while rendering

Dan Dennedy ddennedy at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 21:12:32 UTC 2016

I am working on a MLT bug report: "melt eats more memory than available"
https://sourceforge.net/p/mlt/bugs/242/

It is still not yet clear if this large and complex project simply requires
much memory, or if there is a leak. However, my suggestion to alleviate the
problem can be considered successful: add "autoclose=1" to each MLT
playlist when making the render XML. I have known about this for some time,
suggested it in the past to users, and recently I added it to Shotcut. It
is documented here [1]. The memory saving is not always dramatic as this
particular case, but at least it will save many people from having a
problem while rendering from the GUI - both of which can be memory hungry.
Also, it might be a good, easy improvement to add to Kdenlive.
[1] https://www.mltframework.org/doxygen/properties.html