[kdenlive] Comparision between Kdenlive and AVID, Premiere and FCP

Pascal Fleury fleury at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Mar 5 16:57:14 UTC 2016

Grazie mille Massimo!

Like your post, this response is very extensive and informative. And also a
little what I expected about the use of these devices :-)

Thanks for taking the time to write this up!
Pascal

Le 5 mars 2016 5:32 PM, "Massimo Stella" <maxstar at tin.it> a écrit :

> Hi Pascal,
>

>> Great write Massimo!
>>
>> That's very interesting.
>>
> Thank you for appreciating it.
>

>> I have one question about input devices like jogdials. In your
professional setups you seem to have only keyboard and mouse. Are these
devices like ShuttlePro not used?

>> In my experience (not a pro!) They have been very useful to navigate
within clips and timeline.
>> I would be curious about their perception in the pro world.
>>

> In my personal studio setup I have just keyboard and mouse and some
external devices as an audio mixer, an old DVCAM deck, a professional pair
of speakers and a condenser microphone. Then I have a 5.1 speakers setup
for when I have to create surround sound.
> The pictures I published in my document are not my studio. These are from
the web just for showing different setups with 3 monitors.

> If want to watch more professional configuration (the ones I shown are
more home studios) check this search on Google:

https://www.google.it/search?q=editing+console&client=browser-ubuntu&hs=bZt&sa=G&channel=fe&hl=it&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ved=0ahUKEwjw7IT0z6nLAhVG7xQKHYRjCwUQsAQIHw&biw=1920&bih=953#imgrc=XzpFthm8FvAUwM%3A

> For which is my experience not at my home but at big companies as SKY (I
worked for this company which part of News group and FOX, probably one of
the biggest television group in the world, for 10 years) the AVID standard
setup is the one I shown in the document. I used jog/shuttle consoles when
I used analog editing system in the past and I think this kind of approach
is just a legacy of that time. Of course a lot of expert editors come from
that age and they prefer to use these devices still.

> Actually I think that AVID used totally by the keyboard is the fastest
way to edit I ever used even if at home I have a licence of Premiere Pro
and I worked for a long period even on FCP.
> Who still tries to sell jogdials is Lightworks which gives you some
feature as the frame by frame audio scrubbing only by using their
proprietary device.
> Without the jog/shuttle you have only a analog tape like scrubbing by
holding pressed the Shift key and by using the mouse.
> So if the software is well implemented for be used by keyboard I think
keyboard is the fastest interface.
> Mouse can be useful for newbies, when you are not too in rush or if you
like to use it.
> Obviously the fact that Kdenlive can accept jog/shuttle device inputs (as
it does already) it a good thing and a plus.