[kdenlive] Copying Kdenlive projects and Preview Rendering

Harald Albrecht harald.albrecht at gmx.net
Mon Jun 20 14:03:35 UTC 2016

Hi Jean-Baptiste,

good to hear your perspective, as it is very similar to what I tried to
analyze. I agree that a totally automatic mechanism isn't possible, so I
see two ways to handle cloning (both may be actually coexisting):

1. cloning from inside Kdenlive as part of the "Save as..." operation.
In this case I would (hopefully) correctly assume that we should then
automatically update the document ID as part of a Save-as operation. I
don't think that we would need an option for this in the save-as dialog,
but I may be wrong. :)

Adding a clone option in addition to save as has the potential to create
confusion. While writing this post I asked myself several times whether
clone creates an independent project, while save-as does not ... or
would it be the other way round? So I think that keeping save-as is the
proper way to proceed from here.

2. cloning outside Kdenlive (using a file manager, etc). In case we
detect that either the location or name of the project has changed
outside Kdenlive's control then we could ask the user whether the
project is going to be a new, independing project. With a third "I don't
understand" that would default to changing the document ID to be on the
safe side, which wouldn't hurt users anyway.

Option 1. is hopefully a simple thing to do and would be needed anyway.
Option 2 could act as some safeguard but has also the potential to
create confusion with inexperienced users as the relocation dialog did
already in the past. Don't get me wrong: the relocation dialog is fine
and absolutely required. It's just that the don't-care type of users
will click it away without thinking, as we've seen in the past several time.

Best regards,
Harald