[kdenlive] Rotoscoping ?

Vincent Pinon vpinon at kde.org
Sat Jul 30 13:23:26 UTC 2016

Le jeudi 28 juillet 2016, 16:13:44 CEST Nicolas Carion a écrit :

> Hi everyone,
>

> In a recent project I wanted to use Rotoscoping, but I was disappointed to
> see that this feature is unavailable in the recent version provided by my
> distro (I'm on Arch, they provide 16.04.3). Downgrading is a bit of a mess
> because it requires downgrading mlt and thus ffmpeg and from there, there
> is a nasty cascading effect.
>

> Besides the fact that a segfault is a weird way to say "unimplemented
> feature", especially in a release version, I decided that I could jump in
> to contribute to add back this feature. However, I'm not familiar with the
> architecture of the project, so I was wondering if someone could point me
> to the right direction so that I don't loose too much time digging around ?
>

> Thanks in advance,
> Nicolas Carion

Hey Nicolas,

That would be a very very welcome contribution!
We lost rotoscoping while porting to Qt5, as we also switched to GLSL+QML monitor to allow use of Movit (GPU effects).
Then all on-monitor edits & overlays had to be ported to QML, rotoscoping being the most complex and not so much used it has lagged behind until now...
The new qtblend transition allows to edit spline trajectories on monitor, so its QML code could be a good basis for the rotoscoping port!
I'm just transmitting what JB explained me, if this is not sufficient for you to start, he will have to complete...

Cheers,

Vincent