[kdenlive] Success: installing Kdenlive's icons locally into $HOME

Harald Albrecht harald.albrecht at gmx.net
Thu Jul 28 12:27:02 UTC 2016

Hi,

some days ago I asked about help with Kdenlive's own icons not properly
showing up when installing Kdenlive inside one's $HOME directory. After
some digging I've now had some success, albeit with some manual work.

The problem when installing inside $HOME is that the install script
installs Kdenlive's own icons into the hicolor theme. Now there are two
problems with that: your local $HOME hicolor icon theme has no
index.theme; thus, the system's index.theme is considered first. You
don't have a local $HOME breeze or breeze-dark icon theme; this is even
worse, as now all stock Breeze icons take precedence over your local
$HOME installation. Argh!

1. So I cloned my /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark (is less forgiving than
cloning breeze) inside my $HOME, inside my $XDG_DATA_DIRS/icons.

2. Then I updated the local index.theme with "FollowsColorScheme=true"
in the "[Icon Theme]" section. This is important, as otherwise the icons
won't follow your color scheme. Funnily, this line is set for the Breeze
icon set, but not for Breeze-Dark icon set, albeit the latter also
having all the necessary stylesheet and class= magic inside their svg icons.

3. I then copied over the adaptive Kdenlive icons, most of them go into
breeze-dark/actions/22/.

4. And finally, never forget to erase ~/.cache/icon-cache.kcache -- it
may save a lot of headaches.

I made sure that Breeze Dark has been set in the control center. Then
started kdenlive ... and now the newer Kdenlive icons show up, replacing
the older stock Breeze (Dark) icons.

Jean-Baptiste, do you think there is some installation makefile magic
that handles local installs? At the moment, the install script assumes
that icons get installed into system locations, but not per-user.

Hope this may help others some later day,
Harald