"File rendering"

François Téchené ftechene at yahoo.fr
Sun Dec 18 17:36:44 UTC 2016

Even if H264 is currently the main format, WebM should be made available to the user. WebM is a professional grade format as much as H264 is. Also it is not proprietary. Its usage should be progressing with more and more coming free licensed film productions. It is what we are promoting with Ethic Cinema anyway. Web browsers are not the only place where you watch movies and software like VLC have no problem reading WebM.

As of today, free format seem to be useless because their proprietary alternatives seem to be giving their users many freedom, which may not be the case forever and there is nothing one can do about it.

At Ethic Cinema, we are building our internal workflow around free formats only so we make sure to avoid any restrictions with using them in the future.

Please, do consider free formats as much as you consider H264 ones.

Thanks! :)

François