"File rendering"

Norbert de Jonge mail at norbertdejonge.nl
Sat Dec 17 00:05:45 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

First of all, kdenlive, the best video editing software for GNU/Linux.

Hey, I have a request. Although perhaps calling it a bug report is more
accurate. (I'm using v15.12.3.)

When rendering a work, the default destination is "File rendering". The
pop-up shows an overview of profiles. Today, I've been searching for a
way to make the overview include WebM. For literally hours. I've been
reading web pages, installed all kinds of additional packages,
reinstalled kdenlive, Googled, talked with people on IRC, and so on.

Eventually, I learned that the destination drop-down includes "Web
sites", which delivered me WebM. The drop-down also includes
"Lossless/HQ".

This is a problem. The problem is that WebM also renders to a file. The
destination is file rendering. In fact, even the button on the pop-up
window still says "Render to File" when "Web sites" is selected.

That "Destination: File rendering" does not include the option that
renders to WebM files is very misleading. Too misleading.

I could suggest changing "File rendering" to something else, but I
won't. The reason I'm not is that this would not completely solve the
problem. As a user, it's too easy to miss (not see) the drop-down
altogether.

The window needs something like a checkbox with the text "Show all
profiles". Which, if checked will display, literally, _all_ the
profiles, including those listed under destination "Web sites".

Yes, there already is a checkbox with the text "Show all profiles". You
guessed it, that is (thus) another thing that is misleading on this
window. Show all profiles does not "show all profiles", what it does is
"show all profiles for this destination".

There's a tooltip. I don't know what exactly you're doing with it, but
all tooltips are unreadable on both of my systems. They have white text
on a very white kind of yellow.

Still, kdenlive remains my favorite editor. :) Blender's VSE, pretty
nice too.

Best regards,
Norbert