possible regressions?

farid abdelnour snd.noise at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 01:46:02 UTC 2016

Hello

We might be experiencing some crashes at the moment... unfortunately i
haven't been able to test yet... could this be due to dependency/packaging
issues maybe?

The first two complaints are from two youtubers willing to test the
program, AJ Reissig and Quidsup, and they are experiencing crahes (one uses
Opensuse tumbleweed and the other KDE Neon), here are the comments:

Quidsup:

quote

I tried Kdenlive 16.08.0 with Mlt 6.3 from the Kdenlive stable PPA.
Unfortunately it was the worst experience yet.
A cropped video composited over a still image resulted in a flickering to
blank white image in the Playback Monitor and stuttering sound, as if the
playback couldn't keep up.
I was unable to move the horizontal playback position with the mouse while
playback was paused.

I have once again regressed back to Kdenlive 15.12.3 (version included in
Ubuntu 16.04 repos), but have kept Mlt at 6.3

This was with KDE Neon and Plasma 5.7.3.

/end quote

AJ Reissig:

quote

 I tried 16.08 on Opensuse Tumbleweed, pulling from the unstable
repository. Unfortunately, Kdenlive crashed so frequently I couldn't get
anything done. 16.04 runs great on Tumbleweed. I have yet to test on
another distro.

/end quote

Also over at our website, a user (angrily) reports

quote:

> Crashes… crashes… crashes…!
>
> Move a clip? Crash!
> Delete a clip? Crash!
> Play back a clip? Crash!
>
> It doesn’t help if you make a fancy GUI but have forgotten the very basics
> of memory management. Has anyone of you ever heard of new and delete
> operators, pointers, arrays and the like? Do you really care about checking
> that you are not accessing random memory addresses when doing even the most
> basic things?
>
> Why on earth do you load all clips into RAM memory? We have SSDs nowadays,
> what kind of performance improvement do you expect? Opening a project takes
> forever and quickly clogs up all available memory.
>
> I can work with kdenlive about 2 minutes, then it crashes, followed by 5
> minutes required to load the project again. This is not even usable for
> demonstration purposes!
>
> I’m using 16.08.0 under Ubunti 16.04:
>
> KDE Frameworks 5.18.0
> Qt 5.5.1 (compiled against 5.5.1)
> xcb window system

/end quote

Cheers! :D

--
1111.1010.r.i.1101|n.o.i.s.1110|i.m.1010.g.1110|مقاومة
fsf member #5439