[kdenlive] To students applying for GSoC participation

Vincent Pinon vpinon at kde.org
Wed Mar 18 08:13:31 UTC 2015

Hello,

So for the moment I have seen replies from Gurjot Singh Bhatti and Shubham Goyal. Did I miss someone else?

"Social" aspects being most important: maybe you could introduce yourself in few lines, and if you want tell a bit on what did bring you to Kdenlive?
Let me start 1st as an example ;-)
I'm Vincent, living in France, have a family, working as electronics engineer.
Linux user for 15y, my wife's job is to realize videos, so I offered her to switch to FLOSS provided that I would support her at maximum... that's how I began to fix bugs in Kdenlive.
In absence of regular devs during 2014, I released v0.9.8 and v0.9.10, was honored by Randa Meetings invitations, where we rebooted refactoring & discussed KF5 port.
I've never been a mentor (+you might guess I don't have many free hours every day), I will do my best to help you, and I'm open to every advice in this process.

"Technical" stuff coming after:
Do you know Kdenlive quite well? You can have a detailed overview going through the user manual on:
https://userbase.kde.org/Kdenlive/Manual
Did you manage to build, install and run Kdenlive from master or frameworks branch, or do you need more help? see:
https://community.kde.org/Kdenlive/Development
Do you already have an idea of how it works? It can be viewed as a evolved GUI around MLT frameworks, which is explained here:
http://www.mltframework.org/bin/view/MLT/Framework
To get a general idea of how Kdenlive works you can have a look at the wonderful diagram drawn last summer on this page:
https://community.kde.org/Kdenlive/Roadmap
(well, unfortunately this is not how it is today but how it should be after refactoring, but the general idea is so)
Knowing all this, do you get a rough idea of what functionality you would work on, where to find it, how to play with it?

Wish all the best for this GSoC,

Vincent.