[kdenlive] FCP or AAF export tool

Piotr Nikiel nikl at nikl.webd.pl
Mon Nov 17 21:42:07 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I'm a heavy kdenlive user since almost a year, and I want to thank you
for the great piece of software.
Now, I'm thinking about contributing to kdenlive in FCP export tool (and
in future in other things which i think may need improving).

Short version of the story:
I made a feature film with kdenlive (~20 minutes running time, 80GB of
media). I needed to export it to either FCP or Avid but couldn't find
any plugins/scripts. So I've made a kdenlive export tool to FCP7, and
from there, using (now free) Automatic Duck to Avid.

Longer version of the story:
You may wonder why I needed to export to FCP or Avid. It is not because
there was any weakness with kdenlive. In fact I managed to produce
pristine quality DNxHD output video ready for publishing/distribution.
However I'm not a professional movie editor, and when my movie was
almost done, a professional guy saw it and liked it and offered his
professional editing. He said he would need the project in either FCP or
Avid and I couldn't deliver any of these easily. I played for some time
with EDL export tool (available in resources), however I didn't manage
to get anywhere with it. So after few days, basing my python scripts on
that EDL tool (Kdenparse) I managed to export whole project to Avid
flawlessly.

Questions:
I wonder if there's already any tool for achieving that (FCP or Avid
export), maybe I doubled someone's work?
If not, I wonder if there's any interest in sharing my tool ?
(I think I've seen people requesting AAF/FCPXML export)

let me know please,
cheers,
Piotr