[kdenlive] Development info

jb jb at kdenlive.org
Wed Dec 24 10:52:20 UTC 2014

Hi,

It seems a bit hard to organize an IRC meeting these days with all the year's
end's events, so I propose to postpone it to January 2015.

In the meantime I did sum up the current state & plans for Kdenlive for the
next months on KDE's wiki:
https://community.kde.org/Kdenlive/Development/KF5

Basically, the Qt5/KF5 port is now done, and my plan is to work on the
Kdenlive / MLT interactions by borrowing some ideas/code from Shotcut - Dan's
work is always a great source of inspiration :). This should allow us get rid
of some unnecessarily complicated code (that is left from the time where
Kdenlive communicated with MLT only through xml playlists), and is a good
opportunity to do some cleanup and reorganization.

I planned a 3 step refactoring, which should hopefully allow for a smooth
transition and be manageable within a reasonable timeframe. I started work on
the first step and will try to blog about the process. If any of the other
developers have ideas or comments about this plan or other things, you are
welcome.

And for those who are wondering, I stopped working on Kdenlive for 1.5 year
partly because of health issues but I have now fully recovered and the
feedback from the community (thanks for the KDE award) and from Vincent
greatly helped me to get back to Kdenlive!

regards
jb