[kdenlive] development synchronization

Mario Fux kde-ml at unormal.org
Wed Dec 17 09:27:19 UTC 2014

Am Mittwoch, 17. Dezember 2014, 08.10:09 schrieb Vincent Pinon:
> Hello,

Morning Vincent

> Despite the absence of news around the project, activity hasn't stopped...
> On the contrary, while I was spending (loosing?) time with unfinished
> refactoring, ttguy enrolled as a new bugkillers, steveguilford implemented
> new feature, and JBM came back to start the KF5 port!

Great to hear of all this work and energy in Kdenlive!

> In this situation some coordination becomes necessary to avoid problems
> merging our different changes.
> As a start, it could be a good thing to get a clear idea of which branch we
> should be working on... [1]
> - master is the basis from 0.9.x releases, received several bugfix until
> last days
> - next was forked this summer in Randa to restart refactoring smoothly, as
> a basis for future
> - frameworks arrived 2 weeks back, based on next, completing the transition
> to Qt5/KF5
>
> In these 2 steps (with some script automated changes everywhere), the
> branches have diverged in such a way that merging becomes painful.
> We had in mind with JBM to release a frameworks version within few month
> (ideally on time for 15.04?)

Please inform the release-team mailing list (or ping me) if and when you plan
to participate in the 15.04 release of the KDE Application. Would be great to
have you in.

> This means:
> - we would somehow abandon the 0.9.x support, abandoning KDE4 users [2]
> - we should put our efforts on this branch to avoid merge problems... need
> some help to setup a KF5 dev environment? [3]
> - we would need testers => KF5 based daily builds / packages: help on this?
>
> Agree with this?
>
> Should we plan IRC meetings for this discussion, or for other technical
> issues (KF5, git...)?

IRC meetings seem to be very good for coordination work. We just started
regular IRC meetings for KDE PIM and the KDE Continious Integration
(build.kde.org) system.

> I may not be much available for the end of the year, so I already wish you
> happy holidays!

Same to you and your family
Mario

> Vincent
>
> [1] I still remind of the movit branch that should return asap!)
>
> [2] and KDE5 users playing with a young port :\

There is no "KDE5". You probably mean the KF5-based version of Kdenlive that
should work on other workspaces as well and not just Plasma 5.